History

 

Once upon a time on a Sunday...

 

on 1 May 1904 the accountant Felix Bruhns, the machine manufacturer Wilhelm Beth and the chemist Henning von Minden met in Lübeck. Their objective: "to found a company by the name of Lübecker Marzipan-Fabrik von Minden & Bruhns, C.G., which would produce marzipan, conduct trade... and have its headquarters in Lübeck." What was once merely a business idea has now become a success story. More than 100 years later the products of the Lübeck marzipan factory are as popular as ever...

 

The company philosophy is the same now as it was then: "Our business principle should be, in manufacturing an utterly faultless and constant product, to maintain and encourage the good reputation already held by the Lübeck marzipan industry, to work with modest means and to remain competitive in every way."


Those are high standards - but the gentlemen implemented them consistently. The marzipan from Lübeck attained an excellent reputation and grew beyond the borders of Germany to become a recognised brand. In 1906 the quality products were even gilded. At a trade exhibition in Brunswick, experts awarded the Lübeck bosses a gold medal for their "recognised products". Those were the fruits of hard work. At this time, Felix Bruhns travelled in a grey frock coat and top hat from Lübeck to the Ruhr region, and then to Silesia and Saxony, in order to sell Lübeck Marzipan.

One of the largest customers of the Lübecker Marzipan-Fabrik was the Hamburg praline factory Jebsen & Co. The founder and owner was Friedrich Bluhme Jebsen, a sales genius. Just the right man for the Lübeck chaps. "Do you want to join us as a shareholder?" Bruhns asked the good salesman Bluhme Jebsen. The temptation is great for the born salesman, who came from Tolk in Schleswig, because he had lived many years in Lübeck and still had a circle of friends there. This, in 1910 a new successful era began in the Lübecker Marzipan-Fabrik: the Bluhme Jebsen era.

 

However, the First World War caused deep fissures: the separation from Felix Bruhns and Wilhelm Beth. In 1917 Friedrich Bluhme Jebsen became sole owner of the Lübecker Marzipan-Fabrik. Turnover grew by thirty times between 1924 and 1930. The trademark "Lubeca" (Lübeck - the sweet one) was registered at the German Patent Office in Munich as a word and type brand. The Lübecker Marzipan-Fabrik was in its heyday.

 

Second World War: collapse. In 1954, upon the 50th anniversary of the company, the managing director Friedrich Bluhme Jebsen, once again confident, announced: "We are a firm of quality and that is how it should remain. Things are getting better." Until 23 December 1960: Friedrich Bluhme Jebsen, by now 90 years old, died in his holiday home in Bad Reichenhall. As prudent as he was, he had determined in his will that Wilhelm Schering and Karl-Heinz Rubach should become managing directors, and the authorised representatives should be Margarete Lafrenz and Rudolf Nevermann. In 1964 Dr. Edgar Paul became an authorised representative and then managing director. In 1975 Ernst-Günther Heinemann succeeded Rudolf Nevermann on the board of management.

 

A successful management: the takeover of the traditional chocolate coatings factory Flintbek in 1967, the construction of a new factory in the Stockelsdorf industrial estate in 1989 and the certification of the quality management system according to DIN ISO 9001 in 1996 are new milestones in the history of the company, which were particularly influenced by Dr. Edgar Paul.

 

Since 2000 the company had been led by Dr. Axel Hahner as sole managing director. A reorganisation of the company, particularly from a sales viewpoint, meant that turnover has continued to grow rapidly until the present day: indeed, it has more than doubled; the number of employees has grown correspondingly from 90 to around 160, plus 14 trainees.

 

 

 

Business letter, 1908 Felix Bruhns Wilhelm Beth Henning von Minden Company sign, around 1920 Warehouse, around 1935 Warehouse for raw materials, 1910 Friedrich Blume Jebsen Marzipan picture book, 1920 Office, 1958 Inner courtyard, around 1930 Trade fair booth, 1930 Almond selection, 1912 Company sign, 1955 Office Warehouse for finished products, 1910 Car pool, 1957 Trade fair booth